ABU DHABI, 27th November, 2017 (WAM) -- The Sheikh Zayed Book Award (SZBA) announced Monday its longlist for "Literary and Art Criticism", selecting seven titles out of 123 nominations received in the category.
Out of the seven works, the category longlist includes two works published by the Arab Institute for Research & Publishing, Beirut:
1. ‘seerat al-‘anqa’: min markaziyyat al thoukoura ‘ila ma ba’d markaziyyat al onoutha’ (The Life of the Phoenix: from phallocentric to postfeminist centrism) by Syrian academic Asmaa Mouikel (2017)
2. ‘ma ba’d qaseedat al-nathr: nahwa khitab jadeed lil sha’riyyah al-arabiyah’ (Post Prose Poetry Era: Towards a new discourse for Arabic Poetry) by Egyptian scholar Sayed Elsisi (2016)
The remaining titles are as follows;
3. ‘fi balaghat al- hajjaj: nahwa balagha hajjajiyyah litahleel al- khitab’ (The Rhetoric of Eloquence), by Moroccan scholar Mohamed Mechbal, published by Kunooz Al Maarifa, Amman (2017)
4. ‘al-ta’rikhi wal sardi fil riwaya al-arabiyah’ (Chronicles and Narrations in Arabic Narrative) by Iraqi critic Fadhil Thamir, published by Ibn Al Nadim, Algeria (2017)
5. ‘al-kitaba wa bina’a al-shi’r ‘ind Adonis’ (The Writing & Poetry of Adonis) by Tunisian scholar Omar Hfaiedh, published by Dar al- Saqi, Beirut (2015)
6. ‘al-‘alamat wal ashya’: kayf no’eed iktishaf al ‘alam fil khitab?’ (Signs & Things: how to rediscover the world through discourse?) by Egyptian scholar Abdelfattah Youssef, published by Dar Al Rawafed Al Thaqafiyyah / Ibn Al Nadim, Algeria (2016)
7. ‘tatweer al-harf al-arabi wa tahaddiyat al- awlama’ (Developing the Arabic Letter ahallenges of Globalization) by Moroccan academic Abderrazzak Tourabi, published by Institut d'Etudes et de Recherches pour l'Arabisation - Mohammed V University, Rabat (2015)
Last week marked the announcement of the Award’s longlist in the "Literature" and "Young Author" categories. Further announcements on longlisted titles in the rest of categories will be made within the coming few weeks.
The foundation of the Award was laid out in memory of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, and his pioneering role in national unity and the country’s development. It is presented every year to outstanding writers, intellectuals, publishers as well as young talents whose writings and translations of humanities have scholarly and objectively enriched Arab cultural, literary and social life.
The Sheikh Zayed Book award is an independent cultural award administered by Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, with a total monetary value of AED seven million.
The award aims to honor intellectuals, researchers, and writers, who have made significant contributions in literature, social sciences and the culture and knowledge of modern age and recognise prominent figures who have outstanding achievements at a regional and international level.