eseoulpost
InternationalForeign Affairs
S. Korea not to seek renegotiation of sex slavery deal with Japan
min  |  min
폰트키우기 폰트줄이기 프린트하기 메일보내기 신고하기
승인 2018.01.09  
트위터 페이스북 미투데이 요즘 네이버 구글 msn
   
 

South Korea said Tuesday that it will not seek renegotiation of a controversial 2015 deal it reached with Japan to settle long-running feud over former comfort women forced into sexual servitude for Japanese troops during World War II.

The Seoul government said that it will also set aside its own money to help the victims heal their wounds and recover their dignity, instead of using the fund that Japan contributed to under the agreement.

Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha unveiled those plans during a press conference in Seoul as a follow-up to a recent government conclusion that the deal was flawed and sufficient efforts were not made to reflect the views and opinions of victims before it was reached between the neighbors.

"It cannot be denied that the 2015 deal was an official agreement reached between the governments of each country, and our government will not demand renegotiation," Kang said in a prepared statement.

"We still expect Japan to accept the truth in accordance with universally accepted standards and keep making efforts to recover their dignity and heal the wounds in their minds... What the victims consistently want is a voluntary and sincere apology," she added.

The measures were announced after a government task force, which was launched after President Moon Jae-in took office in May, concluded late last year that the previous government of ousted President Park Geun-hye failed to make sufficient efforts to listen to the surviving former comfort women.

Moon criticized the deal as gravely flawed, saying it cannot resolve the comfort women issue. Kang earlier vowed to listen to all of the victims before finalizing the government's stance on the controversial deal, leading to speculation that the government could seek to renegotiate it.

Under the deal reached on Dec. 28, 2015, the neighbors agreed to "finally and irreversibly" resolve the comfort women issue. Tokyo apologized for its colonial-era atrocities and pledged 1 billion yen (US$8.9 million) to a foundation dedicated to supporting the victims.

The deal, however, prompted strong criticism from victims and civic groups who claim that Japan's apology was not sincere enough and that the government did not consult with them in advance. Some call for renegotiating or even scrapping the deal.

"Our government will explore victims-centered measures by gathering opinions from the victims and related organizations," Kang said. "We will also set aside money that will replace the 1 billion yen that the Japanese government gave under the deal and have consultations with Japan on how to handle the (existing) fund going forward."

   According to the government, about 40 percent of Japan's contributed money has been accepted by victims.

The government's latest announcement highlights a dilemma that it has faced in handling the comfort women deal reached by the previous administration. The government is attempting to strike a balance where it does not damage bilateral relations with Japan by amending or withdrawing from the deal, but at the same time does not commit to implementing all of the agreement's terms.

Japan rejected South Korea's demand for more efforts to support the former comfort women.

Following the announcement in Seoul, Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono told reporters in Tokyo that Japan cannot accept the demand from South Korea. He earlier warned against any attempt to revise the deal, saying it could make their bilateral relations "unmanageable."

   South Korea has said that it will take a "two-track" approach in which it will approach the historical issue separately from diplomatic and economic relations.

"What the victims consistently want is a voluntary and sincere apology. Our stance is that we will welcome the Japanese government showing sincerity on its own initiative in helping the victims regain dignity and heal their wounds," Noh Kyu-duk, foreign ministry spokesman, told a regular press briefing. (Yonhap News)

< 저작권자 © eseoulpost 무단전재 및 재배포금지 >
폰트키우기 폰트줄이기 프린트하기 메일보내기 신고하기
트위터 페이스북 미투데이 요즘 네이버 구글 msn 뒤로가기 위로가기
이 기사에 대한 댓글 이야기 (0)
자동등록방지용 코드를 입력하세요!   
확인
- 200자까지 쓰실 수 있습니다. (현재 0 byte / 최대 400byte)
- 욕설등 인신공격성 글은 삭제 합니다. [운영원칙]
이 기사에 대한 댓글 이야기 (0)
Most Read
1
Honduran Envoy joins 48th Anniversary Ceremony of Saemaul Ungong
2
Expo 2020 highlights its unique opportunities for global travel and MICE industry at ATM 2018
3
Book on Sheikh Zayed quotes released
4
S. Korea's top kids beverage earns halal certificate
5
Emirates scoops four awards at the World Travel Awards Middle East 2018
6
National Media Council, Facebook team up to combat proliferation of false news
7
Manazel Real Estate announces co-development agreements with investments exceeding AED500 million
8
Korea, Ukraine to step up cultural and people to people exchange programs
9
24th GCC sGovernment and sServices Conference to focus on 4th version of sGovernment strategies
10
Taiwan President calls for 'Africa Plan' to further engagement, investment
Photo News Green Biz
UAE environmentalists to travel to ends of the earth to inspire change
UAE environmentalists to travel to...
min
Mohammed bin Rashid launches Marmoom Desert Conservation Reserve
Mohammed bin Rashid launches Marmo...
min
Masdar unveils locally manufactured all-electric Eco-Bus
Masdar unveils locally manufacture...
min
Tabreed, Masdar sign agreement to operate Masdar City’s First District Cooling Plant
Tabreed, Masdar sign agreement to ...
min
World Future Energy Summit 2018 to map transition to a sustainable economy and lead ‘cleantech’ innovation
World Future Energy Summit 2018 to...
min
Photo News Sports
S. Korean named new leader of East Asian football body
S. Korean named new leader of East...
min
Nahyan bin Mubarak receives female people of determination who participated in Special Olympics Regional Games in Abu Dhabi
Nahyan bin Mubarak receives female...
min
PyeongChang 2018 chief organizer says 4 things led to successful Winter Olympic, Paralympic Games
PyeongChang 2018 chief organizer s...
min
PyeongChang Winter Paralympics end with celebration of breaking down barriers
PyeongChang Winter Paralympics end...
min
Opening day of Abu Dhabi’s Special Olympics IX MENA Games 2018 witnesses incredible sporting achievement
Opening day of Abu Dhabi’s Special...
min
Largest Winter Paralympics to close in PyeongChang
Largest Winter Paralympics to clos...
min
Olympics:9th Regional Games of Special Olympics opens in Abu Dhabi
Olympics:9th Regional Games of Spe...
min
World’s top rally drivers to compete in Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
World’s top rally drivers to compe...
min
Photo News World
S. Korean named new leader of East Asian football body
S. Korean named new leader of East...
min
Nahyan bin Mubarak receives female people of determination who participated in Special Olympics Regional Games in Abu Dhabi
Nahyan bin Mubarak receives female...
min
PyeongChang 2018 chief organizer says 4 things led to successful Winter Olympic, Paralympic Games
PyeongChang 2018 chief organizer s...
min
PyeongChang Winter Paralympics end with celebration of breaking down barriers
PyeongChang Winter Paralympics end...
min
Opening day of Abu Dhabi’s Special Olympics IX MENA Games 2018 witnesses incredible sporting achievement
Opening day of Abu Dhabi’s Special...
min
Largest Winter Paralympics to close in PyeongChang
Largest Winter Paralympics to clos...
min
Olympics:9th Regional Games of Special Olympics opens in Abu Dhabi
Olympics:9th Regional Games of Spe...
min
World’s top rally drivers to compete in Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
World’s top rally drivers to compe...
min
Photo News Opinion
Koreas agree to start Moon-Kim summit in morning, hold official dinner
Koreas agree to start Moon-Kim sum...
min
Construction vehicles enter THAAD base after police break up protest
Construction vehicles enter THAAD ...
min
Customs officials raid Korean Air, owner family's house over alleged tax evasion
Customs officials raid Korean Air,...
min
Military hopes for summit breakthrough in easing border tension
Military hopes for summit breakthr...
min
Police admit to having evidence linking ruling party lawmaker to Internet comment rigger
Police admit to having evidence li...
min
GM Korea, union in last-minute talks as deadline nears
GM Korea, union in last-minute tal...
min
Top GM official remains optimistic about wage negotiations
Top GM official remains optimistic...
min
Ruling party expels two members suspected of online comment rigging
Ruling party expels two members su...
min
Newspaper AboutNews ReportAdvertiseComplaintsPrivacy PolicyJuvenile protectionRejection of E-mail Collection
Gangnam-gu, Teheran 52 street in Tehran Bldg, 616(Yeoksam-dong)  |  Main Phone: 02) 563-0604  |  Fax: 02) 538-5665
Chairman : jeong-woo Lee  |  Advisor : byung-il Min  |  Publisher: jae-mo Kah  |  Editors: il-hong Kim
Registration Number 1928 Seoul ah  |  eseoulpost.com / eseoulpost.net / Global Korea.,Ltd
Copyright © 2011 eseoulpost. All rights reserved. mail to jaemokah@daum.com , kih10kr@empas.com/ www.globalkorea.info
arabafrica.net / UAE Interract / Emirtes News Agency(WAM)/ http://wam.org.ae / www.uaeinteract.com